Re: Transcoding degradation G711<->iLBC

I'm quite fond of GSM610 as a low(ish) bandwidth codec - although it isn't as good as (say) speex or Silk,
it is widely supported, and European users have had years of cellphone use to get used to the specific
sound of a GSM call. So you can often go from a GSM610 supporting handset all the way through to a
GSM supporting ITSP without needing to transcode at all.

If at all possible avoid creating a path which involves 2 different lossy codecs - e.g. 729 _and_ GSM
the results are significantly worse than either.

If you can control all of the call path and have devices that support it, Silk is _lovely_ . It takes a bit of tuning
for your expected network (which is unfortunately manual in Asterisk 10) but it is worth it.

Tim.