Experience with virtual servers?

Hi All

Does anybody have experience with running Asterisk on virtual servers? I have been experimenting with two suppliers and I am not altogether happy with sound quality etc.

Is it perhaps foolish to try and install a “production” Asterisk server on a virtual machine? With dedicated servers being comparatively cheap (although still several times more expensive than virtual servers), perhaps that is the way  I should be going? I have heard someone mention “Asterisk friendly” VPS providers, how can you tell if they are or aren’t friendly?

We currently have our Asterisk server running on a five year old single AMD CPU 32 bit machine with 512Mb and that works fine. Even the cheapest virtual server vendors offer servers that seem much more powerful but after testing I am not so sure any more!

Any info would be very welcome!

Regards

Binni