ExtensionStatus event

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone has already done a web application that queries 'ExtensionStatus' events.

On my web site I have an extension listing. Next to each number I'd like to add an icon or something that shows the extension status. I'd like this status to be as real-time as possible. Being a web app, I was thinking of doing javascript JSON calls to Asterisk AJAM every x seconds.

Has anyone done this already? (so I don't need to reinvent the wheel)

Are there better approaches than querying for the ExtensionSatus for each extension on a web page listing?

Asterisk and HTTP daemon are on different machines.

Thanks,

Vieri