fallback to default extension

Hi

 I was asked by our development departement to setup asterisk in a
manner that if someone calls an extension in the department that was
was only configured, but a handset was never attached to it to fall
back to a default extension. For example: Someone calls extension
2408, but there's no phone attached to 2408 it should fall back and
ring at 2400..

How do I setup asterisk to find out if there's a phone attached to an
internal number if not ring another extension?

TIA
Paolo