What is the minimum arm processor architecture for reliably running Linux?

I'm evaluating some packaged motor controller boards that include arm
processors as part of the controller architecture. The application I'm
working on requires OS support. I would prefer to use Linux. I'm trying
to determine what the minimum Arm core architecture to reliably support
Linux would be. Note I emphasize reliable. I do not want to have
situations where memory fragmentation resulting from a lack of mmu would
cause Linux failures.  Based on my investigations this would mean that
as a minimum I need

Family                   Architecture                       Core

--------

ARM7TDMI       ARMv4T                        ARM710T or ARM720T

Moving up I could look at

Family              Architecture                   Core

ARM8               ARMv4                         ARM810

ARM9TDMI       ARMv4T                        ARM920T

Can anyone share their real workd experience?

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep
moving."
- Albert Einstein