i2c on sam9-l9260

Hi all,

I've been strugling with the linux kernel of the olimex sam9-l9260 for
three weeks now an i think this is a good time to ask you guys for
some help.

The board has a 10-pin connector with a (second) serial port, spi and
i2c pins and I want to have one of them (i2c master beeing the first
choice) available to a user program to communicatie to other devices.

While booting, the kernel finds 3 serial ports:
atmel_usart.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0xfefff200 (irq = 1) is a ATMEL_SERIAL
atmel_usart.1: ttyS1 at MMIO 0xfffb0000 (irq = 6) is a ATMEL_SERIAL
atmel_usart.2: ttyS2 at MMIO 0xfffb4000 (irq = 7) is a ATMEL_SERIAL
ttyS0 of them is used for the console and works fine (maybe because it
is initialised by u-boot?). Sending data to one of the other two seems
to work okay (takes some time and ends without a message), but the pin
remains high.  I suspect the PIO controller is not set properly.

So i think i need to get devices for gpio or i2c to get the extra
interface I want. And to get that, I need module support. And since
the current kernel does not support modules In need to rebuild it with
other options.

So far i have succesfully rebuild the 2.6.23 kernel from the sources
with 2.6.23-at91.patch applied, configuring with sam9_l9260_defconfig.
But when I try to change any setting with make menuconfig, there are a
lot of questions to be answered while building and (probably since I
don't have all the right answers) the result is a kernel that does not
boot.

I'm stuck at this point and hope you can tell me if i'm on the right
track and give me advice on how to proceed.

Thanks,
Joep