Re: Report from 2013 ARM kernel summit

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Hiroshi Doyu <hdoyu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Rob Herring <robherring2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote @ Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:45:02 +0100:

>> > [...]
>>
>> I don't see how this can work. Typically you find a property and then
>> read the relevant #*-cells to determine the size. Having multiple cell
>> properties is asking for errors.
>
> The above was mentioned for PATCHv4 series[1], which used the arm,smmu
> DT bindings,  "#stream-id-cells" in clients and "mmu-masters" in
> iommu.
>
> In PATCHv5[2], we took the following DT binding where multiple cell
> properties seem to work ok.
>
>   smmu_a: iommu@xxxxxxxx {
>         #iommu-cells = <2>;
>   };
>
>   smmu_b: iommu@xxxxxxxx {
>         #iommu-cells = <3>;
>   };
>
>   device_a {
>          iommus = <&smmu_a param1 param2>,
>                   <&smmu_b param1 param2 param3>;
>   };
>
> This can describe the relation between a device and an iommu
> independently. The number of params needed for each IOMMU can be
> sepcified by #iommu-cells in its iommu entry.
>
>   device_a <-> smmu_a, needs 2 params for a device
>   device_a <-> smmu_b, needs 3 params for a device
>
> For example, "smmu_a" can be an bus level global IOMMU where all child
> devices can be an master of "smmu_a", and "smmu_b" is a local IOMMU
> only for "device_a".
>
> "memory controller"---"smmu_a"---bus--+--"smmu_b"--"device_a"
>                                       +--"device_b"

I think the above binding would be the correct way to describe things
if you have 1 device connected to 2 IOMMUs (directly rather than
chained). IIUC, that is something you have on tegra?

For the topology above where you are chaining iommu's, I think
something like this is more accurately describing the hierarchy:

  smmu_b: iommu@xxxxxxxx {
        #iommu-cells = <3>;
         iommus = <&smmu_a param1 param2>;
  };
  device_a {
         iommus = <&smmu_b param1 param2 param3>;
  };

I remember discussing this with Will and seem to recall some issue
with describing things this way. But looking at it now, I don't see
what that was.

>> > I already commented briefly here:
>> >
>> >   http://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree/msg11513.html
>> >
>> > basically deferring to DT people :)
>> >
>> > Anyway, I'm happy to tighten up the IOMMU requirement description but
>> > *not* at the expense of breaking what we currently have for the ARM SMMU,
>> > which is being used by Calxeda.
>> >
>> > Adding Andreas and Rob for input on potential binding additions to the SMMU.
>>
>> The above proposal would be an incompatible change. However, I think we
>> could still deal with a change in this binding at this stage.
>>
>> One way approach to handle this without changing the binding would be to
>> scan the DT for all iommu's up front and create a list of all nodes and
>> their iommu parent. The fact that the hierarchy is described in a way
>> that doesn't fit Linux well is really a Linux implementation detail.
>
> I may need some implementation to understand this further.
>
>> If changing the binding, a simple approach would be to allow
>> 'smmu-parent' to be a bus and/or device property and not just for
>> chained iommu's. This could be a global or bus property that is
>> inherited. Like interrupt-parent, you would have to deal with the parent
>> being itself. Also, perhaps iommu-parent would be a better name. In any
>> case, I'd like to see this all be a generic iommu binding.
>
> I guess that this would work.
>
> One concern to this may be that there might be the case where IOMMU
> hierarchy doesn't always follow the bus's one, I guess. I'm not so
> sure if it's an good example, but, platform_bus itself doesn't follow
> the actual bus hierarchy at all. But if we start to describe the bus
> hierarchy(adding a specific bus) we'll loose the benefit of
> platform_bus, where we can share almost all devices in a single
> driver.

It is not trying to follow the bus hierarchy. Inheritance is just a
convenience. Interrupts don't follow the bus hierarchy either.

Rob