Re: cpufreq on PandaBoard

On 11/19/2013 11:18 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Nishanth Menon <nm@xxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On 11/19/2013 08:59 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>>
>>> Booting a PandaBoard with a recent kernel and devicetree appears to be a
>>> rather messy process. There are dozens of devicetree-related warnings
>>> spewed on boot (many pertaining to missing regulators). At the moment,
>>> however, I'm most interested in this,
>>>
>>>     cpufreq-cpu0 cpufreq-cpu0.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
>>>     cpu cpu0: dummy supplies not allowed
>>>     cpufreq_cpu0: failed to get cpu0 regulator: -19
>>>     cpufreq_cpu0: failed to get cpu0 clock: -2
>>>     cpufreq-cpu0: probe of cpufreq-cpu0.0 failed with error -2
>>>
>>> What is the status of cpufreq on the PandaBoard? Is this expected to
>>> work?
>>>
>>> More generally, if one wants a fairly recent kernel supporting the
>>> PandaBoard's hardware what kernel tree should be used? Is mainline not
>>> yet appropriate? Is linux-next preferred? Perhaps a ti-maintained tree?
>>
>> for upstream: Wait for the clock nodes to get merged.. we are at v9 of
>> discussion thread here[1].
>>
> I take it that the clock node work does not itself fix cpufreq? I've
> built the 3.12-dt-clks-v10-dev branch. On the bright side, it boots and
> appears to run just fine. Unfortunately, there isn't even a mention of
> cpufreq in the boot log.

You are probably picking up a branch that is yet to be posted :)...
and I assume you know the risk of in-development patches ;) - the
branch looks to introduce purely clock nodes which patch [2] adds on
to and makes cpufreq work as a start..

> I've seen your Google+ post[1] from May enumerating the steps to having
> working DVFS. It would be useful to post an update showing what has been
> merged, what is waiting for merge, and what is still in progress.

We are still at "step 1 - get clock nodes" :(... and no, situation has
not improved since May 2013 when I originally posted that G+ comment
(and not because we have not been trying..).

>> for ti-maintained tree, you need to talk to TI support folks for
>> appropriate kernel for your product line.
>>
> I wasn't asking for official support, just wondering where work is
> currently happening.

they are happening here in linux-omap mailing list.. just that the
changes are pretty fundamental and a lot of discussions have been
taking place

[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=138193821608515&w=2

--
Regards,