Re: [RFC RESEND 1/4] arm/dts: OMAP: Add timer nodes

Hi Rob,

thanks for your response.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Rob Herring wrote:

> On 07/14/2012 01:56 AM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Rob Herring wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure this is really a good use of aliases. UARTs use aliases
> >> because it is important that the UART number to tty number is known and
> >> fixed. IIUC, as an example you are picking timer1 because it has
> >> properties X, Y and Z. If so, then you should describe those h/w
> >> properties within the timer nodes so you can pick which timer to use
> >> based on it's h/w properties.
> >
> > Some GPTIMER blocks have input and output signals that can be routed to
> > external package balls.  So it's possible that some application may need
> > to request a specific timer ID, since that timer would be connected to a
> > specific off-chip device.
>
> Yes, I understand that. So you

(just to clarify, these are Jon's patches)

> should be describing which ones have i/o and what they are connected to.

Right, agreed.

> The PWM binding is probably a starting point.

My point, perhaps unclear, was about the aliases.  Do you have a different
approach in mind that applications should use, other than requesting a
specific timer by ID?

- Paul