Re: An extremely simplified pinctrl bindings proposal

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:53:38PM -0800, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 02/05/2012 08:20 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:

> > A controlled set of register read/writes and maybe also conditionals
> > (if that bit is 1, do this, else do that, plus a loop command to wait
> > for a flag or similar) are known as a "jam tables" and usually used
> > in BIOSes to do a compact machine initialization. I learned this term
> > in Bunnie Huang's "Hacking the Xbox, where he describes finding a
> > jam table interpreter in the Xbox ROM.

FWIW I just added a subset of this functionality (called "patches" for
want of a better name) to regmap, just a simple list of register writes
that get blasted in htere.  The intent is somewhat different, though -
it's there for dumping undocumented or partially documented register
write sequences from vendors into devices since there's a common pattern
of doing that when bringing things out of reset, more like what Grant
seems to have been talking about in that thread.