Restricting mod-dbd by location

I have a busy websebserver with a configuration like this:

<VirtualHost 192.200.1.1:443>
       SSLEngine on
	DocumentRoot /opt/busy

       DBDriver pgsql
       DBDParams "host=192.200.2.2 dbname=foo user=foo password=foo"
       DBDMin  4
       DBDKeep 8
       DBDMax  20
       DBDExptime 300

	<Location /idle>
            SetHandler websocket-handler
       </Location>

</VirtualHost>

The DBD driver is only needed by the websocket-handler within /idle. The
remainder of the virtual host does not need it.

My problem is that EVERY connection to the VirtualHost appears to
open a DBDDriver connection (I am running non-threaded due to various
legacy nonsense). That causes a huge strain on the database. I only
want a connection to be acquired if the connection is made to /idle.

To be clear, I can avoid making ANY request to /idle, and my database
still gets hammered.

I appear not be able to put the DBD stuff within a <Location> block.

I cannot redirect the /idle bit to another VirtualHost, as I need to
use IP based SSL with the same endpoint.

Any ideas on how I could restrict DBD connections to be only acquired
when connecting to the Location?

--
Alex Bligh