Re: OpenGL = IP mindfield, Intel is problem #1, vendors need to adhere to LSB -- WAS: Kernel source

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
..

Well, regardless who started the thread, I sure know how to finish it
off.  Sorry I get heated sometimes.

I think  it is time to "throw another log on the fire"

I recently received an email from Kevin Carmony of the company called "Linspire" (formerly Lindows).
Here is a quote from that email:

However, there is a very important reason why I'm so happy with Linux today. In addition to the things I mentioned above, Linux works for me because I can play .mp3 files on my iPod, watch a DVD movie on my laptop, use Java, Flash and Real. I can view movie trailers on the web with Apple's QuickTime, and view and print Adobe .pdf files. I have advanced 3D support for my nVidia and ATI graphic cards. However, what many may not understand, is that for me to enjoy all of these things, Linspire uses legally licensed, proprietary codecs, drivers and software from third-party companies. Without utilizing this software, Linux is right back where I started five years ago: unusable.

..
Here in this Linspire Letter, however, I'd like to discuss the main reason the Freespire announcement is such big news. Yes, it's great that Freespire is "free" (as in it doesn't cost anything to download it), but that's not really why we named it Freespire. We mostly like the name Freespire because Freespire offers "freedom of choice." You see, Freespire is the first free, community-driven Linux to provide the option of including proprietary drivers in the core distribution.

Freespire is very unique for open source Linux distributions, in that it will allow users the choice to download a version that is 100% open-source OR one that includes proprietary software. Freespire is venturing into new territory by offering a free community Linux operating system that includes the option for legally licensed proprietary software pieces at its core distribution. Without this choice, desktop Linux's market adoption will continue its slow creep toward mainstream acceptance.

..

I know there will be some who will abhor the idea of offering proprietary software to be used next to open source, but I honestly believe it's time to take a realistic approach. The world just isn't going to throw away their millions of iPods, or stop watching DVDs. Until viable alternatives emerge, Linux needs to offer a total, usable experience. Freespire doesn't force any proprietary code on anyone, it simply gives them that choice as an option.

Some links:
http://www.freespire.org/

http://www.freespire.org/support/faqs

Freespire Community Project:
http://www.freespire.org/community

--
With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3
--