Re: Current best recommendation for Athlon 64 motherboard?

Rob Kirkbride wrote:
Axel Thimm wrote on 01/03/2005 13:42:

Hi,

what are currently considered good high-end motherboards for desktop
use of Athlon 64s? Chipset recommendations are welcome as well!

I bought an Asus A8V-Deluxe and built a machine around that and it works a treat. Very stable - the onboard sound and ethernet work fine too. It does have a Wireless port on it as well but I haven't downloaded the driver from sourceforge because I haven't needed to.
I've tried both FC3 and CentOS4 beta on it and it works fine.

Rob

As far as the best motherboard, that depends on what you need it for. I would recommend looking at one of the new boards based on the NForce4 or K8T890 chipsets. Both of these chipsets support PCI-Express, which if you are building a new computer is the best way to go for future compatibility. Both chipsets have a just about everything you would need in a desktop machine. Check some reviews on reliable sites like AnandTech or Tom's Hardware and good luck. HTH.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer