From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Xavi Alexis <xamalek@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, October 21, 2010 5:39:46 AM
Subject: Re:  ALSA Questions - MUTE and PLAYBACK RATE

Xavi Alexis wrote:
> How do you use the ALSA API to mute the MICROPHONE?
> How do you use the ALSA API to mute the SPEAKER?

These questions assume that "the MICROPHONE" and "the SPEAKER" actually
exist.  However, there are cards that have none, or more than one, or
that cannot be muted, or where the muting isn't controllable by
software.

In the general case, these settings should be controlled by the user
with a mixer application.

What are you trying to do?

> How do you reduce the playback latency or delay?

Reduce the buffer size.  However, this increases the danger of buffer
overruns.

You need low latency only when you are generating sounds in real time in
response to external events.

> I want the audio played as soon as it is read or something close to that.

Does "read" mean "read from disk" or "capture"?

Regards,
Clemens