Re: default searchpaths on *BSD machines?

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Miles Bader wrote:

What's the usual way to handle this issue...?

 1) Add /usr/local to paths by default
 (e.g. CPPFLAGS+=-I/usr/local/include, LDFLAGS+=-L/usr/local/lib)

The approach I use is to create a /usr/local/share/config.site file
with this content:

That's something a (knowledgeable) installer can do to make installing
packages easier on his system, but I'm mainly thinking about what a
_packager_ can do to make things easier for installers that haven't
done such a thing...

It isn't really feasable for a 3rd party to guess where add-on packages are installed on your machine. FreeBSD 'ports' puts packages under /usr/local but the packages may very well have been distributed with the base OS (not under /usr/local), or the user may have installed the packages he wants to use under some other prefix. Sometimes the versions under /usr/local are not the latest versions because the 'ports' have not been rebuilt yet after a system update.

This is a case where I would make reference to the documentation which discusses these issues.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/