Re: autoconf-2.68b released [beta]

On 03/02/2012 09:21 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> If you have a virgin system, with none of GNU m4, autoconf, nor xz
> installed, then the solution is to install xz from tarball, m4 from
> tarball, then autoconf from tarball.  That's good enough for most
> people.

It might be a bit more complicated on Solaris 8, since it doesn't
have GCC.

Admittedly this is not a real problem for me, since I have
a Solaris 8 environment that I added to myself, with gcc and etc.
Plus, I know that I can just use xz on Linux to decompress
the tarball, and then copy the undecompressed tarball to
the Solaris box.  I have done this sort of thing regularly
ever since coreutils started shipping in xz-only format
(since I've been trying to stop adding to my Solaris 8
hoard, it doesn't have xz for instances....).

Sometimes I worry that this sort of hassle discourages
others who are using older hosts -- that is, I worry that
these are not the sorts of things that are likely to get
reported on mailing lists, as these folks will likely
just shrug and give up on free software.  It's hard
to say how often it happens.  I hope it's rare.