Re: System files and "make distcheck"

Quoting Nick Bowler <nbowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 2011-06-27 12:08 +0100, cwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It looks as if the standard GNU installation method would require
every user to run ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc

If the user wants those config files to be installed to /etc, then yes.

whereas most would just try the usual ./configure && make.  Given the
choice between a convenient installation for the user, and a working
distcheck, I think I'll have to take the convenient installation.

It's not very convenient for users who do not have root access to a
machine or otherwise don't want to write to system-wide installation
directories (such users therefore may want to install with something
like --prefix=$HOME/sw).

Users who want to install multiple versions of your package may also
be inconvenienced.

Well, yes; however, if you don't have root access to the machine then
the package can't be installed correctly - that's just the nature of
the GUI.  And if you install multiple versions of the package (as you
can) that will still result in only one entry to the system file.

I'm really not happy about the non-standard install, but it seems the
least bad solution.

Will