Re: shutdown a windows guest take ages..... (20- 34 minutes here)

Hi Peter,

the shutdowns of my windows7 prof, still taking ages...... up to 20-35 minutes !!!

i did what you suggested. i started the machine and watched what happens via the "resource manager" (the one in the taskmanager). i could see that day that windows was leeching updates. after a time this was finished. i said then "install updates" and the resource manager showed action for some minutes.
after that all was quite.
shutdown the machine - took again 29 minutes. on the console via iotop i could see the virtual machine was writing all the time with 10~11mb/sec
for that long time.

i restarted machine. shutdown again, with 25-30 mins
again again again again again............

Then i converted the image (didnt know if i told that before that i use images for hdd), from RAW to QCOW2

in virt-manager i set the hdd again, virtio - format qcow2 - cache writethrough - io mode "default"

the raw image was 64 GB, after convert to qcow2 it has 28 GB.

i started first time the machine and wait until the resource manager told me theres no more action.
i shutdown the machine.
it took again 30-35 mins to shutdown.

BUT! after shutdown the image was not 28 GB , it was 43 GB

restarted the machine, wait for no action and system idling

shutdown = 28 mins

and that value is kept.

i store the image on a raid6.

i use gentoo linux - kernel 3.7.9
app-emulation/qemu 1.2.2-r3
app-emulation/libvirt 1.0.2 -r1

Do you have any ideas? What can cause this long shutdowns?

thanks

marko