RE: Disable automatic enabling of multipathd

Jackson,

This isn't a problem with multipathd, rather that the SAN volumes are visible during the kickstart I'd say. I was bitten by this long ago...  once... and it sucked :)  Now I am very careful to say the least.

You have a couple of options right off the bat.

1. I think the "nostorage" flag still works, put that on the kernel line and then in the kickstart specify which device drivers you need loaded in the kickstart. On a newer HP box running rhel6 I add the "hpsa" driver via a "device" flag. On an older rhel5 install, it's still "cciss" for the smart array. This has worked for me.

2. In the %pre section, you can remove/unload the fibre channel card drivers, then those volumes will not get scanned since they will not be seen.

Your description doesn't indicate (to me anyway) if you are booting from the san devices so I am assuming you are booting from local storage, and then accessing the san after the fact. You also didn't include the partition layout so I am suspecting that you might be using autopart. If that is the case, and your primary storage is local, then one of the two options above should work. If you aren't using autopart, then you might think about being a bit more specific in the partition information when designing the setup.

I hope this helps, I certainly know the feeling when a system blows away all of the cluster data when this happens :)

Corey

Corey Kovacs
Sr. System Architect
Technology Management Associates