how to tell when biosboot partition is needed?

Is there some programmatic way within Kickstart %pre to determine if
a "biosboot" partition is needed, or at least if it is an available
option/fstype?

Like many folks, we create a "/tmp/partitions.inc" sort of %include
file in %pre, to partition the disk.

Starting in Fedora16 a "part biosboot ..." partition is required,
and ideally we'd like to be able to use the same %pre script to
setup partitions on all the different Linux versions we need.

We would be okay with "wasting" 1MB and always creating a biosboot
partition for any Linux, but it's not a supported type prior to
Fedora16, so that isn't an option.

Thanks,
sr.