Re: ksvalidator - can't detect errors?

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, whitivery wrote:

Sometimes ksvalidator will complain but not return an error, for
instance:

  # ksvalidator -v RHEL5 /tmp/tmp.57yMAuel5v
  The following problem occurred on line 2 of the kickstart file:
  Unknown command: somesetting1
  # echo $?
  0

I want to be able to detect such problems.  But when I try to
redirect or pipe the output of ksvalidator, it produces no
output.

How can I detect such problems within a shell script?

The error might be printed on stderr, which you would have to catch specifically, most likely by redirecting the output to stdout, and catching stdout. If this is the case, something like this might work.

output=$(ksvalidator -v RHEL5 /tmp/tmp.57yMAuel5v 2>&1)

In general, with shell scripts, if you see output in interactive mode, but not when you run it and capture the output in a script, this is the case.

Matt

Fedora 14, pykickstart-1.77-2.