Controller partition order?

I'm building a bunch of virtual machines and I want to make sure that the swap partition comes first on the disk. Sometimes we need to expand storage on VMs and this is much harder if the swap partition is after the / partition. Is there a way with the partition command to control where on the disk a partition goes?