RHEL 5.4 - kickstart from USB external DVD

I'm having an issue getting a customized RHEL 5.4 kickstart DVD to work
properly from a USB-attached DVD drive.  The issue appears to be that
the "usb-storage" driver doesn't load unless I manually select it via
the Anaconda interface.  My isolinux.cfg is setup to do the following
when the "rh54" label is selected:

   label rh54
     kernel vmlinuz
     append initrd=initrd.img
ks=cdrom:/isolinux/ks_cfg/ks-developer-rh54.cfg

It works just fine with a SATA or IDE DVD drive, however not with
USB-attached external DVD drives.  Indeed the tty3 and tty4 output show
that the usb-storage driver doesn't get loaded until after I cancel out
of the "location to ks config file" dialog and then subsequently select
the "USB Mass Storage Driver" (I believe it's called) from the list of
drivers presented.

Is there any way that I can force the usb-storage driver to load *prior*
to Anaconda attempting to find the ks.cfg file? (in my case found on the
"cdrom" at "/isolinux/ks_cfg/ks-developer-rh54.cfg")

Thanks,
Roger Johnson
</PRE><BR><span style='font-size:8.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#003366'>
This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains<BR>
information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary<BR>
and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual<BR>
or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original<BR>
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the<BR> intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email<BR>
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or<BR> copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email<BR>
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.<BR>