Re: what is the meaning of LVM id in ks.cfg

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 12 2009, Aldo Foot said:
>> Looking at this article:  http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-5511
>>
>> What is the meaning or purpose of the "01" in the lines
>>      part pv.01 --size=1 --grow
>>      volgroup vg_root pv.01
>> Is it an arbitrary number to give an id to the VG?
>
> Yes, it's purely an id for mapping the VG to a specific PV.  Which
> becomes needed as you have multiple volume groups

Thanks for replying.

This small detail is not documented anywhere I look. There is no
reference to it by the output of the LVM commands either. So, is this
something used only during the time kickstart is running?

All LMV examples on kickstart that I've seen involved only one physical
disk.
Now, say that I have three HDDs and I have this in the ks.cfg:
      part pv.11 - -size=100 - -ondisk=hda
      part pv.12 - -size=200 - -ondisk=hdb
      part pv.13 - -size=300 - -ondisk=hdc
What would be the correct syntax to create the Volume Group?
I'm thinking maybe
      volgroup bigVG - -pesize=789 pv.1113
with the "pv.1113" pointing to what's specified in the previous part commands
showing the range 11 through 13. Is this accurate?

~af