Check your /etc/default/grub, if you use raid 1.

There's a long standing combination of two bugs: the list of rd.md.uuid boot parameters generated by anaconda for /etc/default/grub may not include the raid uuid of non-stock partitions like /home; and although the ramfs initscript autodiscovers all raid volumes present, sometimes (not always, I'll estimate 5% of the time) if a uuid is not enumerated in the boot parameters, one of the drives in the raid 1 volume may not get assembled at boot.

There's probably a third bug in here: mdmonitor should've mailed me when an array came up degraded at boot (I suspect that because mdmonitor gets started so early in the boot process, not all the moving pieces are there for mail delivery to happen). Eventually, you'll boot again with both drives in the array somehow, except they'll be out of sync, resulting in massive corruption. If you're lucky, you'll boot just with the other drive, and discover that your filesystem's contents are weeks/months out of date, and maybe you'll be lucky enough to figure out what happen, and switch back to the other drive and resync. But, not everyone's so lucky.

This first started happening in F16. It took me a while to figure out the cause for an occasionally raid assembly failure at boot. Fixed it, and forgot about it. Well, looks like the F17 anaconda brought back the broken /etc/default/grub, which found its way into my grub.cfg, and I just lost a full day, cleaning up this mess.

So, if you use raid 1 and upgraded to F17, you may need to fix this before it's too late: put back the missing uuid into /etc/default/grub, and into every entry in grub.cfg

Pissed.