Re: Please Relax was: And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not to worry.  Just as soon as you stop talking about me, I'll
disappear.  If you want to refer to someone by their last name, it is
customary to use the appropriate honorific, the last name by itself
being taken as rude.  In my case, the appropriate honorific would be
Dr.  So address me or refer to me as Robert or Dr. Myers, not Myers or
Mr. Myers.

Myers:

Since when did you get the insane idea that you could somehow control others, much less how we address you? Newsflash: that's not how this Hobbesian state of nature that we live in works. Me thinks you need some more education - this time in political science, because you're an idiot. First you come in here shooting your degrading mouth off in disrespect to the rest of us, and then you have the gawd-damn gall to demand that we respect you? Where the f--k did you get this crazy idea? Respect is earned, my friend (using the term very loosely). What you chose to do instead is to treat us all like pee-ons, which results in the treatment you receive now.

What did you get your Ph.D. in? Basket-weaving? Because it sure seems that you missed some very important classes: like the one that teaches you how to respect others in order to get respect back. You, sir, are not worth your papers. Clean up your act and perhaps, 20 years down the road, you may earn our respect.

Adding to this: the only thing a Ph. D. tells me, as a student, is that you know how to play the game well, and for that, the university can offer you a teaching position. It doesn't necessarily say anything about knowledge, much less anything about wisdom; just about playing the university game.