Re: Issue with SBUS ESP?

On 06/01/2010 02:37 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> After letting the SB1000 F12beta install percolate for a while, I decided to
> take my spare SCSI DVD-ROM drive out of the second SB1000, and put it in the
> E6500.  After the 20 minute boot up wait on the E6500 (takes a right long
> while to boot 17CPU's and 20GB of RAM on one!), I was able to boot the F12Beta
> ISO, issuing a 'linux vnc vncpassword=xxxxxx console=ttyS0,9600' and it
> started coming up.
>
> However, once the initrd has come up, it can no longer find the DVD.  Since I'm
> on a serial console, it's difficult to see what's going on.  And copy/paste from
> GTKTERM I've not figured out, yet....
>
> I try to load the Sun ESP driver, but it still doesn't find anything.  Any
> parameters I need to pass to the driver for the SBUS ESP on the E6500 to
> recognize the DVD?

SBUS autoprobing doesn't work at all. You'll have to tell anaconda to
manually load the appropriate drivers.

This is a known issue, we still need to write a Python library for
probing the SBUS and hook it into anaconda.

(Ironically, one was written by a co-worker of mine at my begging, but
he managed to lose the final code. He swears he can rewrite it, when he
gets a round tuit, but he's a busy guy.)

You'll also need to be really patient. It takes a long time for the ESP
driver to detect the DVDROM on the bus. If, say, after a few minutes, it
still can't find the DVDROM, it would be interesting to see what is on
the other ttys... of course, over serial, that isn't going to be
practically possible. I suspect we'll need to try to reproduce this
failure on a machine with a video head, like an Ultra 1/2.

~spot