Re: Drupal module licensing

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:16:03AM -0500, Paul Frields wrote:
[re Drupal GPLv2+ policy]
> I don't know a reason why a project's requirement for specific free licenses
> should be viewed as strong-arming.  After all, both parties have something to
> gain from the relationship of having code in Drupal's CVS system.  Furthermore,
> the Drupal project doesn't prohibit an author from multiple licensing of code
> (as long as the additional licensing doesn't invalidate the licensing under
> GPLv2+, presumably). For instance, jQuery is found in Drupal CVS, which is
> dual-licensed MIT/GPLv2.

One legitimate criticism one could raise about the Drupal policy is
why it doesn't also permit GPLv2+-compatible code (that is not
explicitly GPLv2+-licensed) in its repositories. GPL compatibility is
a somewhat fragile but important customary doctrine that I'd like to
see projects give support to through policies of this sort. However, I
see that Drupal has addressed this very issue here:
http://drupal.org/node/66113
and the explanation seems quite rational to me, even if not's the
policy I'd support if I were involved in the project.

 - RF