Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
The plan for download.fedoralegacy.org is to point it at the document
describing the project status with a pointer to the last known mirror list. This way repos will break, people will go to the URL to see whats up, notice the project closure, and reconfigure for one of the mirrors
if they still need updates, and make informed decisions regarding their
system's future.

So download.fedoralegacy.org is down now, but there is no document there describing the project status. Of course people should be looking at www.fedoralegacy.org after trying download.fedoralegacy.org, but can a page a like still be put up?

I will try to work with Jesse in the next week or so to see what we can
do to put a page up so that <http://download.fedoralegacy.org/...> will
go to such an information page.  Currently, the dnsname
'download.fedoralegacy.org' appears to be an alias which points to the
canonical name 'legacy.linux.duke.edu' (152.3.183.83), which looks like
it indeed has been taken down.  I believe the plan is to have 'download.
fedoralegacy.org' point to a different server or virtual server that can serve up the informational web-page and won't go down for a long while.

Also I'd like to know if there's a list of mirrors that will continue to be available for a while. If not I'd like to know how I can rsync all packages created by the Fedora Legacy Project without also rsyncing the packages that are still available at download.fedora.redhat.com. Most packages have legacy in their filename, but I believe some do not. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

In addition to what someone else said about the planetmirror mirror in
another message, I had heard that the fermilab ftp mirror (of Batavia,
Illinois, USA) has no intention to go down any time soon.  The contact
there, Troy Dawson, kindly informed Jesse Keating that fnal's mirror
has always been a full mirror of the legacy repository, and pains were
taken to make sure it would remain there without losing any data or
packages when the main repo went down.

Fermilab mirror:

	ftp://linux21.fnal.gov/linux/legacy/

A mirror I have used in the past at Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa,
USA) appears to still be up, but I have no idea what plans, if any, they
have for keeping it around:

	http://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedoralegacy/
	ftp://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedoralegacy/

More information about Iowa State's mirror, including contact
information, appears to be on the web here:
	http://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedora-legacy/

I'd like to have the Fedora Legacy archive available because sometimes I have start managing an old Fedora box and I like to be able to at least get the latest legacy fixes on them directly as planning a migration takes a little time.

I wish you luck, Nils.

	Warm regards,
	David Eisenstein