Re: lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:00:26PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Here is what I think can happen.

Oh, hey, that was fast. :)

> A) Kill off RHL now.  Stop trying to do stuff there when we just don't have
> the man power or the volunteers.
> B) Move to using Extras infrastructure for building packages.  They're
> ready for us for FC3 and FC4.

So RHL has been the hold-up there? In that case, *definitely* time to end
RHL support; RHL != Fedora anyway.

I really, really think the bugzilla process should be moved to be more
"normal", too -- one bug # per release, even if the issue is identical in
FC3 and FC4. (That's why there's the "clone bug" bugzilla feature.)

> C) Move to Core style updates process.  Spin a possible update, toss it
> in -testing.  If nobody says boo after a period of time, release the darn
> thing.  If somebody finds it to be broken, fix it and resubmit.

Yes. Better this than nothing.

> Somewhere in there convince Luke Macken to do the work to get a Fedora
> Update tool available for use externally that does the boring stuff like
> generate the email with the checksums and with the subpackage list and all
> that boring stuff. It could even handle moving the bug to 'MODIFIED' when
> it goes in updates-testing, and finally to CLOSED when it goes to release.

Yes. How much work will this convincing take? Does he accept bribes?

[...]
> I honestly think that doing these things is the only way that Legacy will
> survive.

I agree that they're needed. I guess the question is: will it be enough?

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>