Re: What we're forgetting . . .

On 6/15/06, Philip Molter <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With that said, it'd be nice if right after a release was moved into
FC4, the outstanding bugs (not security fixes, but bugs) were addressed.
  FC2's kernel, for example, has numerous little bugs that were in
Bugzilla both before and after the Legacy switch that are easy to fix
and have been addressed with both posted patches and later updates that
were just never addressed in Legacy.  The *perfect* time to do this is
right after the switch.  Think of it as a stability focus period, and
then once all the little things that tend to get ignored by Fedora
proper get ironed out (I would think a lot of those things are extremely
simple to handle), then the distro is really solid for a lifetime of
security updates.

It would be nice.. but currently the people doing the code work are
probably 4-8 people volunteering their time. You could do a full scale
bug-fix and remediation with a team of 8 people who were full-time on
fixing bugs.. but that costs at least $1.5 million dollars per year
(salaries, benefits, hardware, bandwidth). If we were to take
donations on this per say user per year.. we would need about 32000
users at $50.00/per seat. Doing it via volunteers.. I would say you
would need anywhere between 32 to 64 coders+QA.

I'm a user, not a QA guy, though.  I'm not sure if my opinion is valid.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

--