Re: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2
|[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]|
Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
RHL we agreed to support for a long period of time, however that time may be up. Personally I would really like to see these go, as they take up a lot of our time when trying to push updates, we get very little help, and updates are increasingly more difficult to do. I would like to hear discussion on if we should continue supporting it, how we can make it easier to support, and a reasonable endpoint to the support, an exit strategy.
While I have various opinions on whether or not they should go, I'll stick with just some ideas on what we need to do if they do go. First, due to the way we promoted RHL support, if we do decide to drop it, we _MUST_ _NOT_ do so without a reasonable warning period. That is, we can't just decide to drop it and do so immediately. We would need to provide a warning period of its impending doom. For example, we might release a notice saying we will only support the RHL releases for X more months or until date Y (which would be the same thing, X months taking us to date Y). We would then have to "encourage" everyone to update their RHL machines to some other version(s) before that date...
Whatever we decide wrt RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2, if we decide to continue the support, that continuation would have to be on our existing infrastructure.
I have no problem droping FC releases based on the 1-2-3-out process we defined, so that isn't an issue to me. The RHL one is an issue. If we decide to drop it for reasons other than non-participation, then we need to provide a length of time during which we continue to provide support while encouraging people to update to another version. Otherwise, we've essentially broken our word and alianated our first/founding community members. We can always use the existing infrastructure for RHL releases since the time period for doing so would be limited.
You have my reasons for removing support and a bit of our roadmap for where the project is going. Given that this is a community project, lets discuss it as a community and come up with some reasonable decisions.
I'm willing to let you decide what the drop, with the above mentioned restriction that you provide a decent window for those of us running RHL to transition before you drop RHL updates. Other than that one restriction I have no objection to any removals. -- Eric Rostetter The Department of Physics The University of Texas at Austin Go Longhorns! -- fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-legacy-list
[Fedora Development] [Fedora Announce] [Fedora Legacy Announce] [Fedora Config] [PAM] [Fedora General Discussion] [Big List of Linux Books] [Gimp] [Free Internet Dating] [Yosemite Questions]