Upgrading RH9 Kernel and Promise SATA Raid

Hello all,

I have googled and am working with Promise Tech Support...but their reply...thus far has not been very..."promising"...  I am, by the way, fighting with a Promise S150 SX4 SATA RAID controller Card and 2 drives in RAID1.

I am running a stock RH9 kernel presently  2.4.20-8  and am trying to upgrade to 2.4.20-31.9...however, when I try to rpm -ivh the new kernel package I get the following error message:

No module FastTrak found for kernal 2.4.20-31.9
mkinitdrd failed
error: %post (kernel - 2.4.20-31.9) scriptlet failed,  exit status 1

I have tried scouring the /boot directory to see if there is a script I could later to point at the same driver that the stock 2.4.20-8 kernel uses but no good.  I have tried manually invoking the /sbin/mkinitdrd script with -v and -r switches to see if I could force it to prompt me for the missing drivers....no good.....I manually added the new Kernel to the grub.conf and it, of course, fails for the missing img file...or at least an unusable one.  I feel like I am nibbling all around this without hitting something meaty enough to let me see the direction I need to go.

Here is what I suspect...I suspect that I may need to recompile a custom 31.9 kernel with the Fastrak controller....never done that before...so...anyone experience this pain?  What path did you take?  Any good walkthroughs that I have not stumbled into yet?

This machine is not on the public network....yet...but is fully updated presently via apt-get...aside from the kernel...

Your wisdom and guidance, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Eucke
--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx