Re: Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 05:31 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On fös 13.des 2013 02:05, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > It was clear at the Go/No-Go meeting today that KDE SIG does not
> > consider this release criterion applicable/desired:
> >
> > "All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical
> > mechanism of a release-blocking desktop after a default installation of
> > that desktop must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality
> > test."
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Final_Release_Criteria#Default_application_functionality
> >
> > jreznik says they consider the live image their 'polished product' where
> > everything must work, while the DVD install is more of a grab-bag - they
> > install a whole bunch of stuff, and don't think it's the end of the
> > world if one or two bits are broken.
> >
> > Given that, I propose re-wording as follows:
>
> You are trying to fix the problem on the wrong end thus leave the
> criteria as is.
>
> The installing should not differ ( or in other word be consistent )
> regardless if you install from the live or from the dvd the end result
> should be the same.
>
> You should have the same service enablement, the same desktop instalment
> and experience etc.
>
> So get releng to get their act together and fix that for the dvd so
> matches with the live.

Per my long reply on the other sub-thread, I'm fine with that if it
actually _happens_. But it's not releng's responsibility; it's the KDE
and desktop SIGs. They own this stuff: it's their responsibility to
choose what packages go in the lives and what packages are deployed when
you do a DVD install of their desktops.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey