Re: glusterfs

On 1 February 2012 12:32, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings.
>

> - Web/static content? Right now we rsync that to all the proxies every
>  hour. If we had a gluster volume for it, we could just build and
>  rsync to the gluster instance. Or if the build doesn't do anything
>  wacky, just build on there.

I think of the items this sounds the best. One of the issues we have
to make sure of is how gluster deals with lossy networks. Most of the
wlan filesystems assume that the networks will be rather stable and
fast which we do not have complete say over. The second item is how
does selinux and other items work on top of gluster?

> - Hosted and Collab data? This would be better than the current drbd
>  setup as we could have two instances actively using the mount/data at
>  the same time. We would need to figure out how to distribute requests
>  tho.
>
> - Moving forward to next year/later this year if we get a hold of a
>  bunch of storage, how about /mnt/koji? We would need at least 2 nodes
>  that have enough space, but then that would get us good replication
>  and ability to survive a machine crash much easier.
>
> - Insert your crazy idea here. What do we have that could be made
>  better by replication/distribution in this way? Is there enough here
>  to make it worth deploying?
>
> Thoughts?

I think we need to set up a test environment at say osuosl,
serverbeach, telia and bodhost and see how it handles traffic over
various items. I am not sure we are going to get it outside/inside of
RH with the current firewalls and needs.

> kevin

Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd