Fwd: Chinese input methods

--- Begin Message ---
On 08/22/2009 01:07 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
Steve Underwood wrote:
On 08/22/2009 12:09 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
Steve Underwood wrote:

Hi all,

Fedora 11 has changed the input method system yet again. The new
system looks like its probably an improvement. However, I can't find
many of the input methods that used to be available with SCIM in
earlier versions. Things like jyut ping. Have I missed something, or
do I need to change from Fedora 11 to something usable?

I've not checked....but do you have scim-chewing installed?  I thought
that included jyutping....

I have chewing installed. That only gives you the Taiwanese input
scheme. Jyut ping was amongst the simple table inputs in SCIM. As far
as I can see only a few of those simple table input methods have been
carried across to ibus.
Hummm....  I thought jyutping was geared towards Cantonese.  When you
say "Taiwanese" do you really mean "Traditional" as in Traditional
Chinese Characters v.s. Simplified Chinese Characters?

Even on my RHELv4 system with a full scim-1.4.4-2.el4 install I only
have /usr/share/scim/tables/Jyutping.bin installed and SCIM management
classifies it as "Traditional".
jyutping is a Hong Kong entry system, so its a Traditional Chinese system.
I do hope ibus becomes the one final input scheme. This endless
changing of input schemes, with more concern about the code than about
users entering characters, has been a huge pain for anyone who uses
Chinese/Japanese/Korean on Linux (and maybe other languages for all I
know).

I've not had must problem with Japanese or Korean.  Chinese seems to be
a different issue due to the different dialects Cantonese, Mandarin,
Hakka, etc., and the various schemes to Romanize.
I think Romanised entry is a PITA, but nobody has implemented a decent stroke entry method for the recent X11 input schemes. I'd really like to find the time to port my old stroke input system from the xcin days to work with ibus. Chances are I won't. :-)

Steve