Re: IBus UI review

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 11:11 +0800, Peng Huang wrote:

> > By focus-follows-mouse, I mean the "Select windows when the mouse moves
> > over them" option in the "Windows" capplet. If you turn that on, and
> > move the move from the window you are working in towards the toolbar or
> > statusicon, the window looses focus and the status icon/toolbar turn
> > inactive, so you can't do whatever you wanted to there in the first
> > place...
> >
> I understood the problem now. We could make the panel close to the input
> cursor or window. But it will be a little annoying. Do you have any idea?

Oh, yes, please don't go there.

The one thing more annoying than a naked floating toolbar is a naked
floating toolbar that moves on its own and follows the cursor around...

> > To know when the statusicon is embedded in the panel, you can listen for
> > the "notify::embedded" signal on the GtkStatusIcon.
> >
> It could work. But how to deal some desktop without sys tray? Do you
> know other ways to check if the session startup is over?

I wouldn't worry too much about desktops without a systray. If you don't
have a systray, you don't have NetworkManager, don't have a lot of other
things. To cover that case, you probably want to make the toolbar appear
regardless of systray if the user toggles the (not yet existing) 'show
toolbar' checkbox.

The easiest way to appear at the right point in the session startup is
to be part of the session startup instead of being started outside the
session. The new gnome-session starts apps in several phases, the panel
being one of the first ones. So simply starting the im service in a
later phase would solve the problem. gnome-keyring solves a similar
problem (the daemon being started by a pam module, when important
session infrastructure is not there yet) by having a little helper
program that gets autostarted at the right point in the session startup
and tells the daemon what it needs to know. Note that all this extra
complication follows from the decision to start something before the
session. (In the gnome-keyring case, it is somewhat unavoidable, since
only the pam module has access to the user password thats needed to
unlock the login keyring.)

Matthias