[Fedora-i18n-list] Japanese key board difficulties

Hello,

I list below the error message I got from my LinuxTLE (Fedora Core 3)
system when I tried to add Japanese to the keyboard switcher after
choosing Japanese at log in  :

' Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60801000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
'

I ran the two requested programs remotely from an ssh terminal. The guy
who wanted to use Japanese said he'd muddle through just reading
Japanese and is doing so on the machine right now.

[root@ws1 ~]# xprop -root | grep XKB
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x111
  Serial number of failed request:  11

[root@ws1 ~]# gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
 layouts = [us]
 model = pc105
 overrideSettings = true
 options = []
 update_handlers = []

Is this the proper forum to ask for help on this?
Is there any help available here?

I hope so! Thanks in any event.