Re: Help request about hinting dev (Liberation Fonts).

On Monday 09 February 2009, Caius "kaio" Chance wrote:
> - Is there anyone in fedora community who could provide helpful info
> on how to manage a high quality hinting?

Well, I'm not from the fedora community, but I've got experience from
the hinting in the DejaVu fonts.

> - Which free hinting tools are available other than fontforge?

Tools and documentation are listed at
http://www.dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hinting

About xgridfit: I'm not really a fan of it. I think it may be usable for
hinting completely new fonts, but I wouldn't start using it on an
existing font.

My hinting work is basically only done with the help of fontforge and
gwaterfall.

> - Where could I find resources of hinting instructions? Precisely,
> full specs of hinting instructions, such as parameter explanation of
> all hinting instructions

You'll have to go through that documentation mentioned on the page
above. The hinting tutorial on that page which I started myself once
never really got far, but it can give some idea.

> - If a CVT table has no comments on each value, do I have to do
> reverse engineering and how should I begin?

Yes, you'll have to do some reverse engineering. It takes a considerable
amount of time, since you basically have to read the hinting of a lot
of glyphs.

Your goal is to get a table of values you may encounter in normal glyphs
(and that for each style).
http://www.dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Control_Value_Table
lists it for DejaVu and many fonts have values for the same things in
their CVT so gives an idea what to expect in Liberation.

There are usually many values in the CVT that don't really matter to you
if you just want to hint some glyphs.

> As Mailhot's previous emails on new font packaging guidelines, he
> often let us refer to Dejavu Fonts. I am wondering if I could catch
> up any of Dejavu devs who don't mind kindly provide valuable info of
> hinting?

Here we go then :-)
When I'm online, find me at #dejavu or ##fonts on IRC if you have
questions.

Ben