Re: Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

On 03/27/2012 06:52 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:43:14AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
One that I thought of after initially posting the wiki page: coffee shop
drinks? So however you order your tea or coffee... it would involve a
lot of modifiers and there are a lot of potential combos, no? Would that
ever be a problem? E.g.,

- triple soy latte
- skinny caramel macchiato
- hammerhead with cream
- iced french roast

Some religions disapprove of caffeine.<ducking>

Is even worse than that: lack of cultural relevance. with coffee shop drinks or cocktails or something like that we limit ourselves to the western culture.

For example instead of offending our Indian contributors once in N years, we keep them out with irrelevant(for them) symbols.

Changing the name theme from a release to the other gives an opportunity to everyone and if, for example, one release we get a name proposed and voted by people from a non-Western culture which make us, as Westerners, a bit uneasy... we should understand we are all equals and accept it.

--
nicu, waiting for the "Tentacle Monster" code name proposal