Re: Fedora website, Red Hat, copyright notices and FPCA

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:25:06AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> However FPCA doesn't mandate the use of a Free and open
> source license as the default.  It seems somewhat vague about this.
> That,  I think is a point of concern.

The FPCA says:

  A Later Default License shall be chosen from the appropriate
  categorical sublist of Acceptable Licenses For Fedora.

The latter term is defined as:

  a license selected from the appropriate categorical sublist of the
  full list of acceptable licenses for Fedora, currently located at
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing, as that list may be
  revised from time to time by the Fedora Project Board.

Now, I can see how that raises your basic concern which ultimately has
to do with details of Fedora governance. However, note that the FPCA
also says:

  Once a Later Default License has been designated, Your Unlicensed
  Contribution shall also be licensed to the Fedora Community under
  that Later Default License.  *Such designation shall not affect the
  continuing applicability of the Current Default License to Your
  Contribution.* [emphasis added]

Thus, while this version of the FPCA remains in place, I think you
need not be so concerned, as 'Code' will always have the MIT license
as a default license and 'Content' will always have CC BY-SA as a
default license. So, imagine a rogue Fedora Board and villainous FPL
that decide that the TrueCrypt License is to be added to the Fedora
'good licenses' list (let's suppose they imprison spot so that he is
unable to stop this from happening) and then they designates the
TrueCrypt License as the new default Code license. But the MIT license
already allows anyone to take code under it and essentially relicense
it under the TrueCrypt License.

- RF