Re: Live CD's and Install Media's arch inconsistent

On Monday, May 16, 2011 03:09:34 PM Joshua Jensen wrote:
> I understand that Red Hat and Fedora releases have a lot of history around
> the architectural optimization in the "x86" space, complete with lots of
> heated debate.
>
> However, Fedora, with its current arch-optimizations, is starting to
> contradict itself, even in its own name(s).
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease ... the Install Media download
> is called "i386", but the Live CD is referred to as "i686".  Surely the
> live CD isn't arch-optimized differently from the release itself?  If not,
> Fedora needs to be consistent.

the livecd's indicate the minimum target cpu, matching the kernel rpm. while
the install dvds have the yum basearch in the name. it is the same reason that
the yum repos have i386 in them.
we could have some rpms optimised for athlon atom or some other variant of the
cpu. if we dont use the basearch we would have to resort to some kind of hacks
to make them available to users, we would also need to modify quite a few
different peices that rely on the basearch being i386

Dennis