Re: A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

On Monday, April 11, 2011 05:30:01 PM Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 08:22 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> >>
> >> 20k $US is *NOT* much money if you want to cover costs for traveling
> >> back and forth from EMEA to NA.
> >>
> >> A regular flight starts at 500 $US but only if your stay includes the
> >> night from Sat/Sun.
> >>
> >> For 20k $US you might be able to cover for 10 people, maybe 12.
> >
> > On the other hand, we can make smaller non-worldwide FUDCons. I really
> > enjoy the local FUDCons - closer to users but from developers
> > perspective - it's just useless activity (it works for local ambassadors
> > but not for other people).
> >
> > I'd prefer to have smaller - one day local events (EMEA, APAC, LATAM,
> > Africa maybe?) and one big worldwide (who says it has to be NA always???
> > yes, I know, budget but)...
>
> How do smaller one-day local events differ from, say, a FAD (Fedora
> Activity Day)? http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD

Yep, FAD like events but for users. Now, FADs are more for certain group within
Fedora for all hands meeting to work on particular topic.

> I know you've noted "regions" and I don't tend to think of regions as
> "local" - maybe I am just not clear on what you're suggesting there.

Sorry - "local" means local for the whole region. So for me local FUDCon is EMEA
one ;-)

I'd like to see one worldwide event, mostly for developers and contributors
(it's worth to bring people together to work on Fedora) and then smaller, one
day FUDCons (NA, EMEA, APAC, LATAM etc.)... For the big one - I don't want to
exclude users! but it should be more contributors oriented event. The smaller
events should be more users oriented.

Just my few cents, nothing more :))) I've been to EMEA and NA FUDCons and just
comparing...

R.

> I'll be honest - I'd really like to see more people actively organizing
> FADs *anyway* - regardless of how FUDCons are organized. But it feels a
> bit like we've dropped off there.
>
> > Today I had 1:1 with our HR how to bring more people to NA FUDCon as a
> > benefit/motivation :)
>
> I like. :)
>
> > So I'm +1!
> >
> > Jaroslav