Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 12:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 17:45 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > That said, to me the real issues with Fedora on servers is not the
> > life-cycle. It's Fedora silently having been converted into a (mostly
> > single-user) desktop OS, with many of its key components not being
> > suitable for server usage.
>
> I agree with you that the above is a problem. I disagree that it was
> done silently. It's been a massive amount of tooth-gnashing and
> argument.
>
> somehow "fedora" has been convinced that people really want an OS-X
> clone in free software but w/o any of the hw integration or
> media-capability.

I agree with the sentiment behind all of these statements. FWIW, I do
run Fedora on one "server" box at home that hosts VMs. At least once a
year, I need to spend a day taking out the disks, replacing them with
new ones, doing a fresh install (to avoid trouble), and copying data
back. It's ok for a simple-ish server, but it doesn't scale at all.

Until Fedora really supports the kinds of things needs on a server (not
just lifespan, which is secondary to stability of updates) then it is
far better to run a derived Enterprise Linux release for that purpose.

Jon.