Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Not artists, designers, writers?  I think your first sentence was enough and
> adding examples actually detracted from where you were headed.

Only if they're also technical in nature.  The project itself attracts
these types because we need them and it's an excellent place for their
works.  We even have people on the Infrastructure Team that use windows
while contributing.  I was specifically talking about the distribution.

> I also like this one.
>
> >5) By F15 I'd like to see a killer virtualization management system in
> >Fedora.  What we have now is a lot of disparate tools.  All of which are
> >getting better, none of which are on the level with the likes of vmware.
>
> OK, confused.  2, 3, and 5 seem to have nothing to do with Fedora itself.
> Additionally, 5 here seems to be based on the assumption that the Fedora
> project is a development organization or that we control development
> resources that we can direct.  I don't think either is true.  I think Fedora
> is a _showcase_ for development that happens elsewhere.

yet 2, 3, and 5 have all been hackfests or discussion points at the last
two fudcons I've attended.  Also, that's kind of my point.  They don't
have much to do with Fedora at the moment.  But I'd like to see us do
them.  Just like NM typically gets its changes here first.  We can through
resources and help at upstream projects more for even better relationships
with upstream.  This is just doing more of what we are already good at.

> Now, I'm well aware of the fact that Red Hat (and other companies) pay
> people to work "on Fedora".  However I think the actual development is done
> in the upstream projects and Fedora just happens to be the test/delivery
> vehicle for that work.  The Fedora project also doesn't dictate what those
> developers do.

Something I want to see changed.  I'd like to have facilities to do this
more in Fedora.  We're starting to have this stuff like we didn't before.
Our work with ovirt is a prime example of this.

> >3) A place where businesses and employees can come to work and collaborate
> >towards common goals.  Many businesses have started using FOSS, Fedora
> >should lead them in how to take a step further and become a FOSS business.
> >Also putting together better documentation on how and why employees are
> >better employees when they work with FOSS projects.
>
> And what about people that do FOSS in their spare time?
>
> I don't mean to harp on the same issues, but in some of our conversations I
> can't help but come away with the impression that you are approaching Fedora
> as a business product that is to be run like a business unit.

We've already got that.  No need to set goals we've already met.

	-Mike