Re: website mockups, what is fedora?

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:04 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> OK, I get the idea behind all of this, really I do.  Much of it is
> great, but let me share what's been nagging at the back of my mind for
> some time.  It's just been hard to put into words, so I'll try my best here.

Um, this thread is a bit of a mess now so I'm not sure where to post
these so I figured at the top made sense. I'm sorry if I'm breaking 5
different mailing list etiquette rules here. :(

I drew out a little site map roughly based on the whiteboard scribblin'
stickster and I did earlier:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/wwwfpo_diagram.png

I numbered the pages to hopefully make for easier discussion.

Here's the current mockup for each page:

1) http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page1.png

2) http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page2.png

3) http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/spins-directory.6.png

4) no mockup yet

5) this is the actual ISO file

6) http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page3.png

7) no mockup yet

8) no mockup yet

9) no mockup yet

10-13) mockup sorely out of date but:
http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Projects/Fedora%
20Spins/Wireframes/spindetailsmock4.png

Let me tell you where I intend to go from here, in order:

- I'm going to update the spins directory page (#3) to list the spins in
order of popularity by default, and also let users tab over to view the
spins in alpha order

- I'm going to add a content block to the spins directory page to
explain what a spin is and link out to other spin-related resources
(e.g. wiki page on how to roll your own)

- I'm going to use some of Toshio's suggestions for the get-fedora page
(#2) and play around with the balance between the DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!111
option and the 'other options' option. I'll probably make a few
iterations here and solicit your input.

- I'm going to create an updated mockup for the spins details pages
(10-13).

- I'm going to solicit feedback for all of these by posting stuff to
this list when it's done as well as making posts to Planet Fedora.

- By next Friday I am hoping to close out the feedback period so I can
crank out the rest of the work (which is hopefully less controversial)
so I can get the websites team a solid set of mockups by Sept. 20 for
the spins and by Sept. 27 for the FPO-related stuffs.

- F12 comes out and the new site design comes out. Hopefully you don't
all hate me at this point and we have a website that at least most if
not everyone can be proud of (if not at least unashamed of. :) )

Peace!

~m

(in 91+F degree weather in Boston with no A/C, please take pity!)