Re: virt-manager shared device problem

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:05:37PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Adam Huffman wrote:
> > Cole Robinson wrote:

> >> The fact that the nonbridged entry is the initial selection and
> >> is actually selectable is a bug, which is fixed upstream and I
> >> believe the latest release.
> >>
> >> virt-manager doesn't set up a bridge for you, one needs to be
> >> preconfigured. Do you have a bridge already set up? If so:
> >>

> > I didn't, but I have one now, having followed the instructions at:
> > http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/bridged-networking-in-virt-manager/
> > and the device is selectable in the interface.
> >
> > Once added to a guest it does work.
> >
> > However, now another guest on the same host, using the default NAT
> > network, seems to have lost its connection.
>
> Hmm, not sure about that. Maybe try restarting libvirtd, the
> network rules may need to be reapplied. If that doesn't work,
> please file a bug against libvirt.

Don't restart the daemon - that'll kill all guests. it is sufficient to
send it SIGHUP, or 'service libvirtd reload' to make it restore iptables
rules.

This page is the canonical source for recommended libvirt networking
configurations:

   http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

If anyone has equivalent bridging setup notes for OS besides the
existing Debian/Ubutun/Fedora/RHEL notes, please add them. eg for
SLES / OpenSUSE or Gentoo

Daniel