Re: SUMMARY : Can't get 100/full duplex with bcm5700...

Douglas K. Fischer wrote:

At 01:41 PM 5/27/2003, you wrote:

Ken Kleiner wrote:

I posted a message asking how to force 100/full duplex on a DELL PE2650 with
Broadcomm - it wants to do 100/half.
Suggestions were to use
ethtool or mii-tool to force it
and/or add auto_speed=0 to /etc/modules.conf.

For tg3 driver, use ethtool to force it in the ifup-post networking script. You can't do it from modules.conf, the interface isn't up yet.

Actually, the problem with trying to do it via /etc/modules.conf for the tg3 driver isn't a matter of the interface being up or down, it's a matter of the tg3 driver not supporting kernel module options for duplexing. The /etc/modules.conf options are used when the kernel module is loaded, not when the interface is configured.

You misunderstand.  What you say about module options is obviously correct.

However, /etc/modules.conf has a post-install trigger, and people have been trying to run ethtool from that. That's what I meant.

tg3 will not support duplexing/speed kernel module options in the future, so ethtool/mii-tool is the way to go.

yes, ...from ifup-post :)
(that clarification is needed due to post-install trigger issue above)

	Jeff

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Linux Wireless]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]