Re: New redhat-rpm-config for ac3

On 14/03/2007, at 9:58 PM, Mike Barnes wrote:
Here's an example of configure's output when building libmad-0.15.1b, one of the several builds I saw this in:

Found an interesting reference from 2003, which places the blame on libtool: http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.bugs/2003-11/ msg00010.html

Seems that it used to fail the -fPIC test on any warning, which I guess -fstack-protector will issue on an Alpha, which is fair enough. It seems to have been dealt with at some point in the last few years, and updating the package's libtool setup seems to fix this:

----
[root@genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# libtoolize -c -f
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
[root@genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/libxosd.m4:9: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBXOSD
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending- aclocal /usr/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_AALIB
[root@genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# autoconf
[root@genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# CFLAGS=-fstack-protector ./ configure
[...]
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
[...]
----

This could be worked into the spec for a failing package, and even resolved upstream if they update their libtool setup, without needing to mess with architecture specific macros.

[Home]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Legacy List]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Red Hat 9 Bible]     [Fedora Bible]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]