Re: new to alpha -- having trouble booting new centos install from ha rd-drive following install on ES40

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:45 -0400, Scott Pendergast wrote:
> Hi we've recently inherited some ES40's DS20's and a bunch of DS10L Alpha
> boxes we'd like to run Centos 4.x on and all goes well until the reboot
> following the install.
>
> I've tried halting at SRM and trying to explicitly boot from the hd but keep
> getting errors indicating no valid boot block is found on the target drive.
> >From what I've read I suspect it is something to do with aboot, etc.  I'm
> new to the Alpha, so don't know if the boot track should have to be manually
> written to the drive after install, if the installer is supposed to take
> care of that for you, etc.  I've tried various partitioning schemes, etc and
> the aboot.conf changes acordingly so it would appear that the installer is
> taking care of aboot but I can't be sure.
>
> These boxes were previously TRU64 boxes (running fdisk /dev/sda reports a
> BSD disklable, etc in case that helps, or hurts, in my case)
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Dear Scott, & list

Pasi's response was much more technically detailed than mine and better
in all ways.  The RH installer is a little funky for Alpha machines, and
as P notes, you don't **ever** want to let it automatically partition
your disk.

I have avoided trouble by setting up an installation with a
separate /boot partition, then either everything else in /, or a
combination of / and /usr. Start the /boot partition at cyl 1 - the disk
druid front end will let you edit the cylinder range on all your
partitions.  That way the aboot has a place to live that SRM can find
it.

later

jn

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Development]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]